Why you should become the next Charlie Editor

Our current Editor is graduating! We need a new Charlie Editor and that could be you! If you love all things #UniLife and want to share student stories that will help others have the best uni experience possible… this might just be your vibe. We want YOU to take that leap of faith and join the team!

Written by Mikayla Murphy

My Charlie journey started in 2022 after seeing a Facebook advertisement to become a part of the Communications team. Within what seemed like an instant, I was officially a casual Communications Assistant.

After lots of social media gigs, I was approached to officially become the Charlie editor. And boy, I don’t regret it. 

Since being in the role, I’ve heard stories from contributors that are major athletes going to the Olympics, International students moving from everything that they know, mums balancing their busy lives, mature age students willing to restart their careers and even the contributors studying teaching like me.

So many new people to meet and so many student voices to be heard. 

I have watched many Charlie contributors come and go. Now as I enter my last report into EASTS, I too must embark on to my graduate era. 

Current Charlie Editor, Mikayla Murphy

What we offer: 

Flexible working hours and location 

I am an online student, living many kilometres away from the nearest Charles Sturt campus. This is no issue though, as all work is completed online!

From taking my work to a local cafe or while on a trip to New Caledonia, the work is easily accessible as long as you have a Wi-fi connection.

I have had to complete a few placements for my degree and the team has been so accommodating with my hours. I’ve been able to go to placement during the day and hop online for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Whatever hours you need, the team is more than happy to suit your busy uni schedule.

Career growth

I’ve been able to send contributor blogs to various faculties for fact-checking. Learning their thoughts and hearing an insight into what they do for the university is something so amazing to learn.

As you may have read from our Humans of Charles Sturt series, there are a lot of amazing individuals behind the scenes of our university.

Meeting these professionals will certainly develop your networking skills. Getting to know how to manage content for stakeholders is vital in any business and is something you might need in a future role.

Wellbeing matters

You have the option to join weekly meetings where we talk about our weekends before diving into our agenda.

You are also invited to attend weekly Pow Wows where you play a little online game with the team. This is great for when you’re working from home alone, as interactions with others can help break up the day and boost your mental health.

You have access to chat on Microsoft Teams. This is very subjective but I think that the Communications team is the best.

They’ve sensed one of my off days while I’ve been busy balancing my jobs, uni and placement and have messaged me to make sure I’ve been okay.

Before a morning shift, I make sure to take a mental health walk to the beach!

Current student online or on campus? – It doesn’t matter!! As long as you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone and give this job your all, you’ll fit right in.

Share your experience and promote Charles Sturt student life today. Being a Charlie contributor or editor is an experience that you won’t regret.

Join a realm of possibilities and be a part of the student voice.

If you’ve got the time and the goods, apply now.