Humans of Charles Sturt: Lloyd Dolan

Humans of Charles Sturt: Lloyd Dolan

‘My careers counsellor at school told me that I should leave school, because ‘Aboriginal people don’t do Year 12, and certainly don’t go to university’.

I decided instead to stay at school, I became school captain, and gained direct entry to a Bachelor of Arts at Newcastle University.’

Interviewed & written by Kate Armstrong

We continue the Humans of Charles Sturt series by sitting down with our next staff driven piece, Lloyd Dolan…

Lloyd Dolan, a proud Wiradjuri man comes from the small country town of Hay, in rural New South Wales. Set on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River, the welcoming town of Hay is surrounded by the iconic Hay Plains, deep in the country.

Now that the scene is set, let’s discover the story behind Lloyd Dolan and his role at Charles Sturt.

Lloyd is a Charles Sturt staff member, the First Nations Academic Lead, with the Division of Learning and Teaching.

Most of his day to day work consists of embedding First Nations student content into courses, as well as individual subjects across Charles Sturt University.

Keep reading to find out more about Lloyd and his inspiring journey to his position at Charles Sturt University and becoming one of our Humans of Charles Sturt.

Humans of Charles Sturt, Lloyd Dolan.
Humans of Charles Sturt, Lloyd Dolan.

What is your name and what is your role at Charles Sturt?

‘My name is Lloyd Dolan, I am a Wiradjuri man born in Hay, NSW. I am currently the Academic Lead, First Nations with the Division of Learning and Teaching.

I assist with the embedding of First Nations content into courses and subjects across the university. I have been in this role for 4 years now, and am currently based at the Wagga Wagga campus.’

Can you tell us a bit about your pathway to where you are now?

‘I originally started my career as a nurse, before going on to complete an education degree and a master’s.

I started work at Charles Sturt University as a casual academic and applied for many different roles that came up. Prior to having this role as a casual academic, I was an academic advisor for students.

A particular part of my journey that stands out is in 2021, when I was part of a team that won an international award for our Wiradjuri Online Cultural Immersion experience that is offered at Charles Sturt.

Another very memorable moment is going back to Year 10, when my careers counsellor at school told me that I should leave school, because ‘Aboriginal people don’t do Year 12, and certainly don’t go to university’.

What does your typical day look like?

Two days are never the same!

‘One day I could be working on a business course or subject and tomorrow a pharmacy course or subject.

I enjoy this part of my job particularly as it reveals many opportunities for learning about the different courses and professions that the students are studying.’

What were your interests as a child? & what did you aspire to be?

‘As a child, I did not have any particular idea of what I was going to do after I graduated from school. I had a wide variety of interests, everything from sports, to arts and crafts, to reading, cooking, hockey and athletics.

I still enjoy sports and keeping active, and enjoy destressing with a game of tennis.

One of my proudest accomplishments is winning the Narrandera A grade Tennis Men’s Singles 12 times!’

Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

‘Hopefully in 5 years time I will be happily retired and doing some travelling around Australia and the world.’

What is your biggest challenge right now, or the biggest challenge that you have overcome?

‘A challenge that I face regularly, and have in the past as well, is having to deal with racism and discrimination on a daily basis.

My mother is a huge inspiration to me in this regard, as she was denied an education as a First Nations person.

She always saw the importance of getting an education and always encourage me and my siblings to at least complete Year 12 and the HSC.

For this reason, my mother is definitely the person that has influenced me most in my life.’

In your life thus far, what has been the biggest life lesson you have learnt?

‘When asked this, I always remember the quote,

“When one door closes another one opens, but do you have the guts to walk through the door?”

I am very passionate about trying new things, and I think this quote encapsulates that.’

What advice would you give to students starting at university?

‘To any students that may be starting at university, I would say “don’t be afraid to ask questions, and don’t be afraid to make a change”.’

BONUS: If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

‘Pasta!!!’

& What is one thing you couldn’t live without?

‘My family!’

A final note

A huge thank you to Lloyd for being a part of our Humans of Charles Sturt blog series! We wish you the very best with your role at Charles Sturt, and thank you for inspiring our students!

If you or anyone you know would like to participate in our Humans of Charles Sturt series, please reach out and email us at charlie@csu.edu.au

Want to read another Humans of Charles Sturt Piece?