Budgeting and Planning a Wedding as a Uni Student

Your wedding is meant to be the greatest day of your life! But how do you balance planning a wedding and studying full time? Gabriela tells us about her experience including tips she used to stay on top of study and plan for her big day on a budget!

Written by Gabriela Gonzalez

Studying at university can be a very important time for people, and most of us do it while juggling so many other things like working and/or raising a family.

This year I had the unique experience of studying my Masters full-time while also planning a wedding!

So just in case you are in a similar boat, here are a few tips on saving money for such an important and life-changing event, while also being committed to studying.

Buying 2nd-hand

There are so many places to find second-hand items for your wedding for cheap. Considering most items will only be used for one day, they can still be of great quality, and none of the guests will be able to tell the difference.

Going on sites like Still White for second-hand wedding dresses, warehouse sales for flowers and decor, or even Facebook groups dedicated to buying, selling, and swapping wedding-specific items can become your best friend when budgeting.

Going to warehouse sales for flowers and decor can make all the difference!

As well as this, once you’re done you’ll be able to resell those items as well, making it even cheaper in the long run!

DIY

If you’re a handy and/or creative person, DIY could be your best friend! It drastically minimises the costs as you’re not paying for the labour of getting the job done, and you have complete control over the finished product.

I did all the stationary for my wedding using websites like Canva or VistaPrint, and completed it all for a quarter of the average cost in NSW (Easy Weddings, 2024).

There are heaps of tutorials and sources for inspiration on Pinterest, Youtube and even Facebook groups that will help you out at any skill level.

Use sites like Canva or VistaPrint for stationary

These tasks can also be done intermittently between classes or in study breaks if (like me) you find it energises you more afterward.

Time Management

Just like studying, time management is very important. If you’re booking venue visits or taste-testing right when assignments are due, you’re going to get too stressed and might not make the most budget-friendly decisions.

Make sure to set goals around when you’ll be expected to be more free to work on it. Also consider big store sale times for buying certain items, like shoes, bridal party attire or decor.

I waited for the end-of-financial year sale to buy my wedding shoes and some decor items I could not find second-hand.

On the wedding day!

Support System

Finally, having a good support system will do wonders for you, not just mentally and emotionally, but frugally as well.

Throughout many DIY projects, I had my friends and family assisting me along the way, lending me their skills and advice.

By being there for me, I didn’t reach the point of getting so stressed that I say “lets just pay someone else to do it instead”.

My partner also made sure to help out more when I had more study commitments. It was a game-changer.

Happy planning students!

Happy planning!

Charlie blog is a SSAF funded initiative