Professional Placement Equity Grant

Professional Placement Equity Grant

Do you have an upcoming placement and are worried about funds? Apply for the Professional Placement Equity Grant, a scholarship that provides financial assistance for current active Charles Sturt students. Hailey did and recommends everyone do the same!

Written by Hailey D’Amato

I am currently studying Bachelor of Social Work online at Charles Sturt, which requires two 500 hour work placements.

I chose to study social work as I was drawn to the helping profession due to a turbulent childhood and while working as an assistant manager of a before and after school care.

Hailey completing an intensive class at Wagga.

My passion for understanding the drivers of behaviour came from managing challenging behaviours in my workplace and consequently, seeing the children thrive in their environment was the catalyst of my social work dream.

I chose to study social work to understand the impact of trauma and how this translates to thoughts, feelings, behaviour and in later life. I have just completed work placement at Headspace, a mental health service for young people aged 12-25 years old.

The Headspace Team.

From this experience, I gained invaluable knowledge around different therapeutic techniques and how they are applied in practice with a variety of ages and cultural backgrounds.

I was able to greatly extend on my mental health knowledge and attend courses such as DV (domestic violence), family therapy and DBT and understand these focused psychological strategies.

Hailey’s placement notes and last day presents!

From this experience, I was also able to acknowledge and understand the roles of differing professions and how social work is applied in the field.

I wanted to complete work placement full-time, 5 days a week, in order to get a real ‘feel’ for the profession and what it would be like as a social worker in that position.

Consequently, my time for paid work was limited. I received the Professional Placement Grant, which was able to help me cover the cost of rent, bills and petrol for travel to and from placement.

The face behind the blog; Hailey D’Amato

I recommend students to apply for the grant as “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”. My first application for this grant was unsuccessful, however I applied again and was accepted.

It has helped tremendously to cover expenses during work placement. Apply before Friday the 20th of August for your chance at a helping hand!

For more information on Charles Sturt scholarships, click here.

Charlie blog is a SSAF funded initiative.

Want to hear another student voice?