Need funding for your studies? Apply for the Destination Australia Scholarship!

Thinking of moving from the hustle and bustle of the city life? Get paid to study and live rurally with Destination Australia! Want to know more? Read Kyan’s experience below.

Written by Kyan Thomson

Hi there!

My name is Kyan Thomson, I am in my second year of the Environmental Science and Management degree and I’m currently studying on the Albury-Wodonga campus.

I am also a recipient of the Destination Australia Scholarship.  

Kyan and uni mates!

Starting university can be a daunting task, you are settling into a new community, with a new routine surrounded by new people whilst adjusting and absorbing new information constantly.

One of the most common things new students stress about is money.

How am I going to work enough hours? How does my work roster affect my study?

A great way to tackle these issues is by looking at the scholarships available at Charles Sturt! 

The Destination Australia scholarship is a government initiative to encourage both Australian and International students to live and study rurally and the scholarship is valued at $15,000 annually! Which is a huge help with paying for living and expenses associated with full-time study.  

I found out about the Destination Australia Scholarship via an email from Charles Sturt, I had seen it in the scholarship list and thought that I didn’t qualify for it.

How great does rural life look!

When I read the email that told me that I was eligible, I immediately began answering the prompts provided in the application process.

The application process was guided and wasn’t daunting at all. After writing a short essay and answering questions about my situation, my application was complete and ready to submit!

I later found out that students scrolling past scholarships they’re eligible for is really common and so many students miss out on extra support because of it. 

This scholarship has allowed me to focus solely on studying and enjoying my experience as a university student, without having to stress about working crazy hours to make ends meet.

It’s an awesome opportunity and I would encourage every International and Australian student to apply! 

Kyan enjoying uni life.