Humans of Charles Sturt: Katie Boardman

Humans of Charles Sturt: Katie Boardman

”Don’t sweat the small stuff like failing a subject or missing a lecture. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

Interviewed and written by James Schumann

We introduce to you our newest Humans of Charles Sturt student piece.

James Schumann is highly confident and approached Katie at the Charles Sturt University Port Mac library.

He found out everything you need to know about Katie as a Human of Charles Sturt, from her plans for the future, to what her typical day looks like, and everything in between.

Read below to learn more about one of our current students!

Humans of Charles Sturt Katie Boardman.

What is your name?

My name is Katie Boardman.

What degree are you studying?

I am studying the Bachelor of Paramedicine.

How long have you been studying at the University?

I enrolled at Charles Sturt University in 2021, so I am coming to the end of my 3rd year.

What did/do you love most about studying and your course?

I’m captivated by the content due to the wealth of valuable, real-world skills I’m acquiring.

The hands-on experience is incredibly satisfying, as it turns any ordinary day into an exciting adventure.

I adore the flexibility of the online format, allowing me to tailor my schedule for maximum enjoyment and efficiency.

Katie gaining hands-on experience.

What does your typical day look like?

On a usual day, I start by purchasing coffee from a nearby cafe, then engaging in early morning studying until lunchtime, followed by another study session.

Wednesdays are reserved for tutorials, while Fridays are dedicated to practical sessions. My day is always filled with great chats with familiar faces around campus too.

Where are you from? Or what campus are you based at?

I grew up in a military family, so I have lived all over Australia.

I completed my senior schooling in Lake Macquarie, down near Newcastle. I am currently based at the Port Macquarie Charles Sturt University campus.

What were your interests as a child growing up? Sport, arts and craft, reading, cooking etc.

During my childhood, I was quite active, participating in sports like Netball, Oztag, Soccer, and Hockey.

My preferred subject in school was Physical Education.

Katie being compared to Aussie tennis player Ash Barty!

As a child, what did you aspire to be growing up?

During my upbringing, I entertained the idea of becoming a teacher for a period and considered the possibility of enlisting in the military as a cook.

However as I aged, I developed an appreciation for the work of emergency services people.

Who has influenced you most in your life?

The person who has had the greatest impact on my life is my mother. She has triumphed over significant challenges and serves as a cornerstone of wisdom in my life.

Her love for her children is unwavering, and she tirelessly strives to support her family.

How do you like to relax or de-stress?

For relaxation, I enjoy taking leisurely walks and going for swims.

In the evenings, I find solace in reading books, and during the week, I engage in team sports for fun.

What advice would you give to students starting at university?

I would advise any student starting university to establish and maintain a support network, and actively enjoy the time while it lasts.

It’s a pretty good stage of life, so don’t wish it away. Don’t sweat the small stuff like failing a subject or missing a lecture. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Katie spreading good vibes.

What’s your biggest challenge right now? Or what’s the biggest challenge that you’ve overcome?

The biggest challenge I overcame thus far as a Charles Sturt University student has been learning to be with myself.

I moved away from my family and friends, which naturally let to me maturing and developing my skills of become independent and self-reliant. It can be lonely at times, and I do miss home.

But the personal growth I have experienced for having undertaken and overcome this challenge has been totally worth it.

In your life thus far, what has been the biggest life lesson you have learnt?

My biggest life lesson thus far is that as humans, we are capable of so much.

You can go in any direction you want to go in, and you’ll get there eventually.

The world is your oyster and its waiting for you to conquer it!

Do you have something planned in the next year that you are very excited about?

Yes, I’ll be travelling to the UK to work as a paramedic for the South-Central Ambulance Service near London.

I want to travel all over Europe.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

The best piece of advice I’ve ever been given is to approach life like you are eating an elephant: bit by bit, piece by piece, one step at a time.

What is one thing you couldn’t live without?

My mum, she is my rock.

Katie and her mum.

What is your proudest accomplishment?

Probably the fact that I have made it this far in my degree!

I didn’t do well in my HSC, nor have I ever been an academic. Prior to university, I had zero background in science, but I just worked so hard

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

If I were to eat one meal for the rest of my life, it would be grilled salmon with veggies and mash, covered in lemon juice.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years, I’d love to be living in my own house back in Australia.

I’d like to be very well-travelled, with a full-time job as a paramedic secured and with my very own vegetable garden.

Katie enjoying some ice-cream!

A final note.

A big thank you to Katie for being a part of the Humans of Charles Sturt series.

We wish you all the best for your future studies in the UK!

Do you know a Charles Sturt staff member or want to be a part of the Humans of Charles Sturt series?

Contact the Charlie team at charlie@csu.edu.au

Want to read another Humans of Charles Sturt piece?