My volunteering story: finding community, purpose, and fulfilment

Have you considered volunteering but have no idea where to start? Bachelor of Occupational Therapy student Lexie Clark has over 7 years of experience and gives us a run-down of what she’s experienced as a volunteer!

Written by Lexie Clark

Volunteering can look like so many different things for different people. One of the things I love the most about volunteering is that there is truly something to suit everyone!

I originally began volunteering with Red Frogs, a youth support network, at Schoolies week on the Gold Coast.

After 7 years of Schoolies, I have developed life-long friendships, a deep sense of community, and the great joy in knowing I have had a positive influence on young peoples lives when they were at their most vulnerable.

We did many walk-homes, to ensure people got back to their hotels safely, cooked a LOT of pancakes, and provided emotional support to thousands of school leavers. 

I joined St John Ambulance as a volunteer First Responder in 2016 and loved getting to serve and give back to my community at a variety of local events, sporting games and festivals.

In 2019, the Mid North Coast suffered one of the worst bushfire seasons in its history.

I was deployed with St John to provide medical care at the evacuation centres, to people experiencing extreme stress, fear, and in some cases, unfathomable loss.

We treated everything from burns, broken bones, and asthma attacks to mental health presentations.

Most importantly, we provided a sense of comfort and a listening ear, during incredibly uncertain times.

To me, that is the very essence of volunteering, being able to give someone hope in the midst of their hardships.

I will never forget the amazing sense of comradery at the evacuation centres… seeing complete strangers come together and working as one was nothing short of inspiring.

The strength and resilience of our community continually encourages me and motivates me to continue giving back wherever I can.

Another organisation close to my heart is the Disabled Surfing Association (DSA). Most of the participants are people with physical disabilities, who never thought that surfing would be possible for them.

The DSA provides the opportunity for people with all abilities to surf in a supported environment.

Seeing the joy on the participants faces when they catch a wave, is truly so special and heart-warming.

I will always remember this one experience… a gentleman in his 60’s who, despite living just a few kilometres from the beach his whole life, had never been in the ocean due to his disability.

Using specialised paddleboards, a team of 8 of us carried him out and helped him to float in the ocean.

I have never seen a bigger smile, or a face so overcome with sheer joy.

It was ultimately these experiences, and the people I’ve met along the way, that influenced my decision to pursue a career where helping people is at the forefront.

As you can see from my experiences, there are so many different ways to volunteer, in so many different places.

I would encourage you to look for opportunities to volunteer, there is a great sense of purpose to be found in being part of something bigger than ourselves.

Find out how you can start volunteering here.

Charlie Blog is a SSAF funded initiative.