I qualified for an Intensive School Equity Grant, and you could too!

Are you about to travel to our Charles Sturt campuses for an intensive school and are a bit worried about financing your trip? Why not apply for the Intensive School Equity Grant! James shares how this will help with the costs involved for his upcoming intensive school.

Written by James Holme

I am currently studying for an Undergraduate Certificate in Agricultural Studies, which is an alternative or adult entry pathway into the Bachelor of Agricultural Science.

Why have I chosen to study for my degree?

I was asked this a lot by friends and family, mainly because anybody starting further education as a mature student must be crazy!

Truth is though that at the age of 33 I had gone through a big change in my personal life and suddenly realised I wanted things to be different and to really take control of my life!

James’ study space.

I had done things a little differently to the “normal” path in life- kind of in reverse if you would call it that, I had kids young with my first being born when I was just 20, I had been working consistently on the family farm for 14 years which is a huge stretch for any worker in modern-day Australia.

As mentioned, some things in life changed, and I found myself looking into further education as a way to fill a gap. After some research, I landed on an agricultural degree with future plans of studying a Master of Education with a focus on agriculture.

As many will know, this area has a major shortage of teachers with specialist skills in primary production, which is going to be a huge problem for agriculture in Australia going into the future!

James’ office for the Biology in Agriculture intensive!

There are several universities that offer agricultural degrees, but most are on-campus, this wasn’t an option for me so Charles Sturt and it’s distance education program was the clear winner!

So far, I have made the 9-hour trek to Wagga Wagga once for an intensive school for my Biology in Agriculture subject back in April and will be returning in August for a week for my Plant Production Systems subject.

When I came across the grants section of the Charles Sturt website, I didn’t think I would qualify for any of them but then the Intensive School Equity Grant caught my eye and once I had a read of the requirements I realised I could put in a submission.

James at his Biology in Agriculture intensive in Wagga.

The grant will certainly help me out with the incidental costs involved with the intensives; fuel, accommodation, and food aren’t cheap!

That and the fact that I need to leave my regular job to attend just adds to the stress, this extra money will take a little of the pressure off and allow me to focus on what is important- my studies!

Anybody who thinks they could use a little extra help should certainly apply; there is absolutely no shame in it; uni life is difficult enough without the worry of costs becoming a prohibitive factor.

Session two has just begun so now is the perfect time to get those applications in, this round closes on the 5th of August so get a move on with it!

Click here to find out more information on the Intensive School Equity Grant.

Charlie Blog is a SSAF funded initiative.