How I Found My Part-Time Job at Uni

How I Found My Part-Time Job at Uni

Wanting to find a part-time job that suits your uni lifestyle and future career? Shristi Naicker shares how she managed to find the perfect job that fits in with her busy uni schedule and helps her understand her career values.

Written by Shristi Naicker

Finding a part-time job whilst at university has been life changing. I have definitely had my fair share of troubles trying to balance work and study but now it is all smooth sailing.

Regardless of the balancing issues, I know it was one of the best things I can do for myself. Here is how I went about finding my ideal part-time job, how closely my current job is linked to my course, and how it helps me progress towards my future career plans.

My Searching Process

I currently study a Bachelor of Pharmacy and have no prior experience in the pharmacy industry. This and the fact that I am constantly between university and my hometown, I struggled to find a job in a pharmacy.

You quite literally always have to be on the search for a potential job:

• Networking:
    I started by talking to my lecturers to see if they knew of any potential job openings. I even talked to my peers in class and on-campus accommodation.

I remember I talked to anyone and everyone because you never know where an opportunity might pop up.  
  • Online Portals:
    My main search was websites like Indeed and Seek but there is also LinkedIn. I set up job alerts to be sent to my email so that I would know when a job was posted.
  • Walk-Ins:
    I have walked into every single pharmacy in the town where the university campus is located and asked if they had any opportunities. I handed in my resume and had a quick chat to the hiring manger.

Relevance to my Coursework

As I said above, I currently study a Bachelor of Pharmacy and I am very fortunate to work in a pharmacy. It has allowed to me to practice applying my coursework to patient care within the jurisdiction of a pharmacy student (of course).

I love networking with the current pharmacists as well as customers. Finally, I also understand the pharmacy profession a lot better now that I am working in one.

Progression towards my Future Career Plan

My current future career plan is to become the best medical health professional I can be.

Both the coursework and working in the industry lets me gain experience and establish what my ethics, morals, values, strengths, and weaknesses are as a pharmacy student.

In turn, it then gives me time and real-world examples on who I do not want to be as a future pharmacist.

I ‘simply’ go about studying and working with the mindset that I will one day have a patient’s life in my hands.

If you’re looking for a job, look at the Charles Sturt Careers portal here.

Or access the Charles Sturt Jobs Board, click here.

Want to hear another student voice?