An Omani’s Aussie Adventure

An Omani’s Aussie Adventure

Charlie Contributor, Emad, left behind the scorching Omani sun to pursue Information Technology at Charles Sturt. Missing family and sweet pastries from Omani sougs can be a bit of a struggle but the international community has become a second family for him.

Written by Emad Ahmed Javed

Hey everyone!

I’m Emad, a recent Information Technology student at Charles Sturt University from Oman.

It’s been a whirlwind adventure so far, and I wanted to share my experiences adjusting to life in Australia with all of you.

Emad & fellow uni mates!

From Dates to Tim Tams

Leaving behind the scorching Omani sun and stepping into the laid-back charm of Port Macquarie was like entering a different world.

The time difference was a challenge, with video calls feeling like a glimpse into a different day!

Yet, the warm reception at Charles Sturt eased the transition. The campus, nestled by the beach, is a sight to behold, and the people are incredibly friendly.

Speaking of beaches, I miss dates and sweet pastries from Omani souqs (markets).

But hey, Australia has its fair share of delicious treats! I’m a massive fan of Tim Tams now – those chocolatey biscuits are dangerously addictive.

Why Charles Sturt?

Choosing Charles Sturt was a no-brainer. Their IT program is highly respected, and the focus on practical learning appealed to me.

Plus, the beautiful Port Macquarie location offered a coastal escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Port Mac: a beautiful coastal escape.

One of the best things about Charles Sturt has been the amazing friends I’ve made.

There’s a real international community here, and we all bond over shared experiences (and the occasional struggle with understanding Aussie slang!).

Still, I miss my family and friends in Oman dearly. Video calls help bridge the gap; sometimes, we even cook similar dishes virtually – a little taste of home across the miles.

But my new friends here are like a second family, always there for support and a good laugh.

Having a great support network at uni helps with Emad’s homesickness

Uni life is definitely different from back home. The workload is challenging but rewarding, and the professors are approachable and helpful.

The best part? My IT classes make me want to learn more about coding, which is a great sign!

The Adventure Continues

My new Aussie mates recently introduced me to the thrill of surfing! Let’s just say I spent more time underwater than on top of the board.

Still, the laughter and the stunning beach backdrop made it an unforgettable experience. I’m determined to conquer those waves again!

Emad ready to conquer those waves!

Finding a healthy balance between studies and social life is essential, and that’s where my friends come in again. We discovered the excellent gym facilities at Charles Sturt, and hitting the gym together has become a part of our weekly routine.

It’s a great way to stay active, relieve stress, and bond over some friendly competition (who can lift the most weights? It’s a work in progress!).

This Australian adventure is just beginning, and I can’t wait to see what other experiences life throws my way.

From exploring the big cities to mastering the perfect Aussie barbecue (a.k.a. Barbie!), I’m excited to learn, grow, and make lifelong memories in this fantastic country.

Stay tuned for more updates on my Aussie escapades!

Friendly competitions at the gym sure does relieve stress!

Want to hear another student voice?