Humans of Charles Sturt: Toby Mobbs

Humans of Charles Sturt: Toby Mobbs

A Librarian, your local Dr. Alan Grant and a touring musician all in one! Introducing our next Humans of Charles Sturt piece, Toby Mobbs.

Interviewed and written by Victoria Prince

Every person has a story, and here at Charles Sturt, we believe in unveiling the diverse narratives that make our community vibrant and unique by shining a spotlight on the individuals who form the heart and soul of our university.

Toby Mobbs is a Librarian at Albury-Wodonga campus.

At the core, Toby’s role involves assisting students and staff with information discovery and retrieval via online chat, in person, or over the phone.

Humans of Charles Sturt Toby Mobbs

Can you tell us a bit about your pathway to becoming a librarian?

“While I was completing my Bachelor of Arts in Wagga, I was working at the Library as a Student Library Assistant in 2010.

Initially, I was working towards being a teacher, but halfway through, I realised it wasn’t for me.

I enjoyed the Library work and decided to pursue this through a Master of Information Studies (Data Management)”

What would people be surprised to know about you/your job?

“Even though I work in a library and studied English Literature, I’m not a big reader at all”, Toby confesses with a smile.

What do you most enjoy about your job?

“I give the odd campus tour to visiting/new staff at Albury Campus.

I hire the campus electric vehicle, dress up as Dr. Alan Grant, put on the Jurassic Park soundtrack, and show them around” Toby reveals.

I have been fortunate enough to have experienced this tour myself as a Student Library Assistant and may I say he certainly commits to the part!  

Campus tour guide gear!

Who has influenced you most in your life?

“This might be cheating, but I’d probably say my friends as a whole? I think we absorb characteristics, morals, and personalities of our close friends more than we realise.”

What has been one of your proudest achievements in your role at Charles Sturt?

“It’s always rewarding when you are able to help students gain confidence in their abilities to find and access resources or using new technologies.”

What were your interests as a child growing up?

“Lots of collections and making things. Lots of my interests as a kid have transferred into adult life.”

Toby recently created a 30,006 piece Lego mosaic of a 1:1 scale pixel recreation of the 1993 classic PC game ‘DOOM’.

Humans of Charles Sturt Toby Mobbs and his ‘Doom’ Lego mosaic

What advice would you give to students starting at university?

“Do something to celebrate and unwind each time you finish an assignment. Treat yourself.”

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

“It would have to be a burger with everything in it, right?

That way you’re covering a lot of food groups and you can just remove things you don’t feel like eating that day.

Is that cheating?”

In your life so far, what has been the biggest life lesson you have learned?

“Listening to your gut feeling is invaluable. Sometimes it’s easy to ignore it if we’re chasing a better outcome in a situation.”

Drone shot taken SA/WA border during Toby’s National Tour. Click on the image to view in full scale.

What is your proudest accomplishment?

“When I’m not working at the Library, I’m a touring musician and recording artist. Last year I completed my first national tour consisting of a show in every Australian capital city.

This was a solo trip and totalled 14,500km in my Mazda 3 in 28 days. This was to promote my album that was released in 2022.”

Toby’s music is available to listen wherever you get your music!

A final note

A big thank you to Toby for being a part of our Humans of Charles Sturt staff edition.

We wish you all the best with your music!

Contact the Charlie team at charlie@csu.edu.au

Want to read another Humans of Charles Sturt piece?