Humans of Charles Sturt: Shaun Wang

Humans of Charles Sturt: Shaun Wang

Introducing our newest Humans of Charles Sturt piece, Dr Shaun Wang.

Shaun is an anatomy lecturer on the Orange Campus and comes from a background of higher education teaching in animal anatomy, histology and biology. Learn about this wonderful lecturer and his story by reading on!

Interviewed and written by Kate Armstrong

Today we are hearing from the fan favourite lecturer from the Orange Campus, Shaun Wang.

I had the privilege of having Shaun as my anatomy lecturer for the first and second years of my physiotherapy degree, and I can confidently say on behalf of all his students that he is so appreciated!

Through these questions Shaun gives us a glimpse into his life as a lecturer and tutor at the Charles Sturt University Orange Campus.

There is also an opportunity to read some of his work, the link has been provided below if you would like to check it out!

What is your role at Charles Sturt?

As a lecturer at Charles Sturt, I’ve successfully taught anatomy to physiotherapy and dentistry students for nine years.

I conduct research to understand the biology of brain ageing and developing strategies for healthy ageing. I also mentor PhD and Honours students and expand into management roles.

Can you tell us a bit about your pathway to getting here?

Most of my career is in higher education. I initially taught animal anatomy, histology and biology to veterinary students after I obtained my degree of Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine.

I then stepped into more research and conducted neurobiology and reproduction projects in Emory University Atlanta and University of Newcastle Australia.

I finally obtained my PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in transcriptomics from Western Sydney University where I also taught problem-based leaning (PBL) and led curriculum-mapping for the medical school.

These experiences landed me the lecturer position at Charles Sturt University in 2014.

Humans of Charles Sturt Shaun Wang.

What does your typical day look like?

I wake up at around 7 -7:30 am, get to Uni before 9 am. I will spend time to teach face to face.

During non-face to face teaching time, I prepare my teaching materials and conduct my research projects and supervise my higher-degree research students.

I will also meet my colleagues in person or virtually. I usually complete the uni day by 5:30 pm.

I also finish up a few things including preps for next day’s teaching at home during the evening.

A few times a year, I meet my industry partners external to Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt Orange Campus.

What would people be surprised to know about your work?

I routinely use human cadavers to teach my physio and dental students.

Also my research in human ageing modulation (i.e. aim to slow or reverse ageing for better health).

How long have you been working at the university?

It has been 9 years with a blink of the eyes!

And I enjoy it, I love to interact with my students!

What do you enjoy most about your job?

A few things are: interactions with my students in small tutorial sessions; mentor my higher degree research students and also the moments of publication of my research findings.

If you wish to look at Shaun’s research click here.

Dr Shaun Wang’s Honours (ongoing).

Where are you from?

I was born in central part of China and then migrated to Australia.

I now live in Orange NSW.

What were your interests as a child?

Music, stage performance and a bit of martial arts.

As a child, what did you aspire to be?

Not really to be anything major, but vaguely to be a musician.

How do you like to relax or de-stress?

Listening to music, running and practice of mindfulness.

What is your biggest challenge?

The fact that we have very limited time in the life, being academic, that there are heavy demands from teaching including supervision, research, and professional engagements.

What is the biggest lesson you have learnt?

Never underestimate or judge anyone based on race, gender, age, and other external characteristics.

Recognising and respecting the uniqueness and inherent value in each individual has been a guiding principle in my life.

This perspective fosters inclusivity, understanding, and a deeper appreciation for the diverse contributions that people make.

Humans of Charles Sturt Shaun Wang.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?

I think it would be embracing uncertainty.

This wisdom encourages resilience in the face of the unknown, fostering adaptability and a positive mindset.

It reminds me that growth often occurs outside of comfort zones.

What advice would you give to students starting university?

Please change of your mindset, university life is fundamentally different from school life! You are an adult now, and no one will chase you to study.

Shaun Wang

You, not your lecturer or Uni, own your education. Never miss a lecture, tutorials, and practical classes.

What is your proudest accomplishment?

Well, depending on perspective, my proudest accomplishment would be my promotion from lecturer to a senior lecturer role in this year.

The journey to this role was no small feat, and the accomplishment reflects the dedication and effort invested in my professional growth.

It serves as a testament to my commitment to academic excellence and contributes to the ongoing evolution of my career.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Noodles for sure (even better to have it with my students!).

The versatility, flavours, and shared experience of a good noodle dish make it a satisfying and enjoyable experience.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I envision myself continuing my journey in higher education, aspiring to attain the position of professor.

I also hope to take on more administrative responsibilities and aim to establish myself as a global leader in the field of ageing modulation, contributing significantly to advancements and knowledge in healthy promotion.

A final note

A big thank you to Shaun for being a part of our Humans of Charles Sturt staff edition.

We wish you all the best for your research!

Do you know a Charles Sturt staff member or want to be a part of the Humans of Charles Sturt series?

Contact the Charlie team at charlie@csu.edu.au

Check out Charlie’s latest posts!

Want to read another Humans of Charles Sturt piece?