Get social media savvy with LinkedIn Learning

It was an entirely new experience for me when I logged in to LinkedIn Learning for the first time and could see everything at my fingertips.

There are most likely millions of lessons, courses and learning paths available, which I will look through over the next couple of months.

Here is what I have learnt this month – to improve myself as a journalist and professional in the Communications industry.

1. Content marketing: social media

Social media is a great asset for reaching the best people to build your professional development.

This course details how everyone has a product they can offer to an employer and how to use social media to advertise that.

For example, I used Facebook to share articles that I have written recently, so my audience can see my portfolio without having to dive too far in.

Four ways to reach your audience:

• Educate. Teach what you have to offer.
  • Inform. Provide information to your audience.
  • Entertain. Share content that your audience is interested in and want to see.
  • Guide. Be a person your audience will follow.

Share different types of content:

• Written – blog posts and articles
  • Visual – images and graphics
  • Audio visual – podcasts and videos
  • Interactive – surveys and quizzes

This course only took around 15 minutes to complete, which is quick and simple for boosting your portfolio.

2. Writing to be heard on LinkedIn

While this course is primarily for writing on LinkedIn, many of the lessons are transferable to writing for other platforms:

Firstly, write as much as you can! The more you do, the more practice you get and the more you will be noticed.

Remember to recognise your audience. You’re writing for them, so give them something they want to read.

There may just be nothing more important than writing a good headline. This is what grabs your audience.

While finding a good pun and stretching your mind to create clever wordplay can work, it is best to be clear. Headlines that are too ambiguous can stir confusion rather than interest.

Finally, remember to always attribute the work that isn’t yours, including pictures, and continue sharing it out there for the world to see.

3. Word quick tips

You use Microsoft Word on a regular basis, so why not learn some of the hidden tips and tricks that can make your life and work much easier.

These include drawing non-standard tables, changing columns, adding commands to the Quick Access Toolbar and using the Resume Assistance Tool powered by LinkedIn to get your resume in tip top shape.

Your next step – start your LinkedIn Learning journey with me.