Congratulations – you’ve come this far on the #BetterInRed challenge! We hope you’ve seen results, improved fitness, met new people and felt the benefits of an active lifestyle.
So what’s next? The weather is getting cooler, the evenings are getting darker, and the excuses are getting easier to make. It’s important not to let your good habits slide once the challenge ends.
To keep up your good work, you could try:
- Joining a gym: No matter how dark, cold or rainy it is outside, you’ll be protected from the elements inside a gym. Run, walk, ride or lift to your heart’s content! Many CSU campuses have sporting facilities you can use for free too
- Finding a gym buddy: It’s easy to hit the snooze button or settle in for a Netflix session when you don’t have anyone to answer to. Find someone to exercise with, plan a schedule around group fitness classes, join a club or sign up for social sport on your CSU campus
- Changing your routine: Now the evenings are darker, it can be tricky to fit in outdoor exercise after class. But the trade-off is the mornings are lighter! Perhaps you can get up half an hour earlier and go for a walk. It’s a great way to start the day
- Building it up: Understand where you’re at and gradually build up your efforts. If you push yourself too hard, too soon, you’ll end up sore or put yourself at risk of injuries. There are lots of free apps that can help you develop a training program that builds up over time. If you take it gradually, your goals will be much more achievable
- Setting a goal: Everyone’s goals will be different, so think about what’s important to you. Do you want to run 10km in a certain time, or compete in a specific event? Perhaps you want to keep up with a tough opponent on the footy field, or just walk to class without having to stop to catch your breath. Whatever your goal, write it down, keep it in mind, and slowly but surely work towards it.
#BetterInRed is all about getting the most out of university life by looking after your health and wellbeing. It is an exercise challenge running for eight weeks from Monday 6 March.
So, lace up, get out and challenge yourself to complete 30 minutes of exercise three times per week. Share your exercise using #BetterInRed and you could win some great prizes!
Find out more at social.csu