#BetterInRed: Reflections of a Red Runner – Sarah

#BetterInRed runner & CSU student Sarah Dotta

Sarah Dotta is the Red Runner for CSU in Albury-Wodonga. Sarah is getting people together to get fit, active and have fun for the #BetterInRed challenge. Three weeks in and she thinks they’ve cracked some great new habits in Albury-Wodonga and given people the opportunity to make new friends and explore the region.

Trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and attending University usually ends up one way – the famous ‘first year five‘. It’s almost like everything you’ve learnt about healthy eating and exercise goes out the window and binge watching TV and me goring week in and week out are perfectly acceptable.

I am in my third year at uni and I find myself still carrying my first year five, after all, I was always told if I was going to do something, to do it well. One day I thought ‘enough is enough, I have to do something about this’! That’s when heard about the #BetterInRed challenge. I thought becoming a Red Runner would be a great way to push myself and help others who want to get moving.

To be honest, everyone who knows me had a bit of a giggle as I can honestly say I was the laziest person you’d ever known. I was determined to prove to myself that I could do it and the reactions of people I knew just made me more determined.

I sat down with my dorm mates and talked about ideas on what people were interested in and ‘ta da’ the Weekly Wetlands Walk was born! Each week we would lace up, head out to the local wetlands and participate in 30 minutes of exercise. All while having a laugh with friends.

Since then we have also incorporated the weekly social netball into the #BetterInRed challenge. The infamous #BetterInRed laces have been spotted on shoes, in hair and around wrists, and sparking conversations about being active.

So, why is being healthy at uni hard and the first year five so easy? I think it starts with education. Some people are well educated and know how to whip up quick, delicious healthy meals to fill them up. Others like myself try for a while then think ‘gosh I could go some Maccas’ and off I go to the golden arches.

I think time management, knowing how to be healthy and motivation are also key areas students need to develop in. But at the end of the day, it’s all about support and getting involved. Supporting someone with their goal by cooking dinners together or going for a walk as a group is far more satisfying than reading from a cook book.

So, get those red laces on and get together – there is so much fun to be had!

#BetterInRed is all about getting the most out of university life by looking after your health and wellbeing. It is an exercise challenge that will run for eight weeks from Monday 6 March.

So, lace up, get out and challenge yourself to complete 30 minutes of exercise three times per week. Share your exercise using #BetterInRed and you could win some great prizes!

Find out more at social.csu