Which Environmental Science and Management Major is Right for You?

So you are interested in studying Environmental Science and Management but maybe picking a major is holding you back… Billie guides you through the different options and how to make the right choice for you!

Written by Billie O’Bryan

If you’re anything like me, decisions about your future might seem a little difficult.

Before I started studying a Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management, I didn’t know much about what I was getting into. I knew that it was something that I found interesting and that I could likely secure a good job with it. Like many others that begin studying ‘enviro’ I thought that I could become a National Parks Ranger, but the further I get into my degree, the more career pathways begin to open in front of me.

When I finished my first year of Environmental Science and Management it came to the point where I had to narrow down what I wanted to study a little more. I loved it all, so how could I choose just one of five majors? If you’re indecisive like me, don’t worry, I’m here to help!

First let me briefly tell you about the five majors you’ve got to choose from.

Parks, Recreation & Heritage

This major focuses on the management and conservation of the environment. You’ll get to delve into culture and heritage, the environment for recreation, community engagement as well as management techniques for flora and fauna.

Climate & Sustainability

In Climate & Sustainability you’ll have the opportunity to learn about climate change and how to mitigate and adapt to its impacts. There is a large focus on climatology. It’ll get you thinking about how as a society we might be able to move forward sustainably.

Applied Earth Sciences

Applied Earth Sciences consists of many aspects of environmental science. You’ll get to continue to learn more about the Earth’s climate, landscape, geography, and geology. This major also consists of multiple aspects of geospatial science.

Ecology & Conservation

This major explores interactions between species, both flora and fauna. It has a major focus on environmental management techniques with the main aim of conserving and restoring Australian environments.

Aquatic Ecosystems

Interested in fish? This one’s for you. Whether it be fresh or saltwater ecosystem this specialisation covers them all. It also explores other aspects that may impact the hydrosphere and aquatic life.

Personally, I found this a hard decision, and if you’re in the same position, I have some advice to help!

• Study what you like

When you’re passionate about what you’re studying, you’ll be more interested in the content. This will mean you’re likely to achieve better grades, plus it won’t feel like such a drag if you enjoy it.

• What you choose doesn’t define your future

Just because you must choose a specialisation doesn’t mean you’re locked into that for the rest of your studies or career. A specialisation simply means you have increased knowledge in that area, not that you don’t know about others.

• Do some research!
No not just this kind of research!

If you’re still unsure which major to choose you can read a little more on the Charles Sturt website or your course handbook.

I would also recommend talking to people with careers in environmental science and management or students already studying their major.

Hopefully this article has given you some ideas onto how to go about choosing a specialisation. Just remember whatever you choose, you’re going to smash it!

Charlie blog is a SSAF funded initiative