How to navigate university life while owning a small business

Are you a business owner, looking for help juggling uni and work? Proud business owner, mum and uni student Tess Ezzy is here to give you some hot tips on how to balance life!

Written by Tess Ezzy

I’m Tess, a social worker, a mum and like many of you, a student trying to navigate the complex world of university life.

All these things make my life busy!

I’m also the proud founder of The Moody Project, a small business where I create art for my inner child and your actual children.

Tess Ezzy

Why The Moody Project?

Meet The Moody Project – where colours, feelings, and a dash of magic collide!

My postnatal journey was a wild rollercoaster ride even though I’m a clinical social worker.

I realised I needed to rekindle the spark within myself for my child. So, armed with an iPad, giggles, and a quest to reconnect with my inner child and my actual child, The Moody Project was born!

The Moody Project started as a little dream of mine, a way to make the world a bit more colorful and joyful, catering to both the nostalgic adult and the imaginative child through talking about big emotions through vibrant art, intersectional feminism, empowering messages and a touch of pun.

As I embarked on my studies at Charles Sturt University, this dream took on a life of its own, blossoming into a business that I’m deeply passionate about.

My Balancing Act: Uni Life and Entrepreneurship

Mastering My Schedule
One of the first and hardest lessons I learned was the importance of time management. I had to become a pro at juggling my coursework deadlines with my business commitments, making sure neither was neglected.

Prioritising Like a Boss
There were times when exams and project deadlines meant putting my business on the back burner, and vice versa. Learning to prioritise based on urgency and importance became second nature to me.

Being Flexible
Being a mum, a student, a partner and a small business owner has taught me the importance of adaptability.

Whether it was reshuffling my schedule to accommodate an unexpected business opportunity or adjusting a business plan due to academic commitments, flexibility was key.

Finding My Tribe
I couldn’t have done it without the support of my fellow student entrepreneurs and mentors.

Charles Sturt’s online communities have been my rock, offering advice, encouragement, and sometimes just a listening ear when I needed it most.

Fuelled by Passion
Above all, what kept me going was my passion for art and making a difference. Every late night, every moment of doubt, was worth it when I saw the joy my creations brought to others.

Tess’ top tips

To those of you harbouring dreams of starting your own venture while tackling the challenges of university, I say, “Go for it!”

Yes, it’s a rollercoaster of highs and lows, but here are Tess’ Top Tips from my journey:

1. Plan Your Heart Out: Seriously, get good at planning your weeks. It’s a lifesaver.
  2. Lean on Others: Don’t be shy to reach out for support, whether it’s mentors, peers, or university resources.
  3. Stay Nimble: Be ready to pivot and adapt. The only constant in both business and university life is change.
  4. Let Passion Lead You: Remember why you started. Let that passion drive you through the tough times.
  5. Dive In: If a scatterbrained artist like me can find a way to make it work, I have no doubt you can too. Let’s make our dreams and degrees a reality, together!
Tess’ top tips (self-created image).

To connect with Tess via The Moody Project, click here.