Celebrating Sports and Blues Awards: A Student Story #3.

”It is super exciting to see Charles Sturt University provide support to the student athletes and to recognise them at the inaugural Sports and Blues Awards!”. Kristie Edwards shares her recent sporting achievements ahead of Sports and Blues Awards nominations closing on October 9.

Written by Kristie Edwards.

Following my Bachelor’s degree in Sport and Exercise Science, I knew I wanted to continue my studies, ideally progressing into the field of Exercise Physiology.

To do this, finding a university that allowed me to chase my sporting dreams while studying was a huge priority for me.

When I discovered Charles Sturts online Masters of Clinical Exercise Physiology course, I knew it would be exactly what I needed.

With the support of the Elite Athlete program, I’ve had an amazing first year studying with Charles Sturt.

Kristie Edwards at the FISU World University Games Summer.

Here’s a little about what I’ve been up to!

After a busy and successful domestic athletics season, I was selected to compete at the FISU World University Games in Chengdu, China.

Finding out I would have the opportunity to race over the 200m in early August, representing Australia and Charles Sturt University at an international event was exciting news.

After being selected for this team in 2021 and being unable to go due to COVID, I was eager to race overseas in the lead-up, giving myself the best shot at a solid performance.

While preparing for the FISU Games, I would also attempt to qualify for the World Athletics Championships in Budapest, to be held in late August.

In doing this, I was also on a mission to gather points/performances that will help me qualify for the Paris Olympics.

With all this in mind, I left for Europe the day after my intensive study week (on campus).

Kristie on the field in Europe.

I was fortunate enough to begin my European campaign, in Gavirate, located one hour North of Milan.

At the Australian Institute of Sport’s European Training Centre, myself, squad mates, and other Australians put two weeks of training together before beginning our overseas campaign.

I had a great series of competitions all over Europe. Competing in Italy, Belgium, and Ireland I was subsequently selected in the provisional* Australian Women’s 4x100m team.

In one of the most memorable competitions of my career, I ran the third leg in this Australian 4x100m team at the London Diamond League Meeting.

Competing at the London Diamond League was an amazing experience as it is one of the most prestigious meetings on the international Diamond League circuit. 50,000 people filled the London Olympic stadium, culminating in the largest one-day athletics meeting in history.

Our Australian team finished 5th, helping to secure Australia’s spot in the World Athletics Championship.

Australia Women’s 4x100m team.

The next competition on my calendar was the FISU games.

Flying from Europe, I arrived to what would be an unbelievable experience in Chengdu.

Throughout the athlete village there was lots to do!

From robot coffee makers greeting us in the entrance halls, visits to the Panda breeding centre (CUTE!), cultural exhibitions, and the local Sichuan hot pot, there was plenty to do off the track.

Temperatures were between 32-36 degrees every day, with over 90% humidity, making training and competition difficult.

Nonetheless, I was able to place 5th in the 200m final. I was proud of the way I trained and competed in China, and I left hungry for more!

Kristie and fellow team mate.

While in China, I found out that I had been selected in the women’s 4x100m relay team to compete at the World Athletics Championships in Budapest.

Again, I had an incredible experience at a World Major.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get the result we were hoping for, being disqualified in our heat.

Kristie Edwards competing.

No rest for the wicked!

Straight after Budapest, we (the 4x100m team) were invited to compete at the Weltklasse Zurich Diamond League, where we finished 3rd in a season’s best.

This was an amazing way to end my international stint.

Sporting stadium.

Without the help and support of the Elite Athlete Program (Kate Staniforth, especially), 3 months of competing overseas while studying would not have been possible.

It is super exciting to see Charles Sturt University provide support to the student athletes and to recognise them at the inaugural Sports and Blues Awards!

The support I have received from the Charles Sturt University Elite Athlete Program and wider Charles Sturt University community has made me glad I chose to study at Charles Sturt University.

I’m looking forward to my next year of study while working toward my Olympic dream!

Want to read another Sports and Blues Awards story?