Wesley Mullen Marriott: ‘Why I joined the SRC and why you should too!’

Wesley Mullen Marriott discusses how he came to join the Charles Sturt Albury-Wodonga Student Representative Committee and the reasons why you should join too!

Written by Wesley Mullen Marriott

I am a Charles Sturt University Bachelor of Education and Early Childhood and Primary student and President of the Albury-Wodonga Charles Sturt SRC (AWSRC).

Fun fact: I love Harry Potter and I can quote almost all of the Harry Potter Movies!

Why I joined the Student Representative Committee (SRC).

The SRC president at the time was one of my classmates, they asked me if I was interested in helping with some events they were running. These events were the first that I had participated in since I started University in 2020.

I joined the SRC shortly after helping out and soon the nominations for 2022-2023 were open.  The president sent me the link for nominations, and encouraged me to put my hand in.

I had two minds about wanting to be an Residential Leader (RL) but filled the form out anyway. After helping at more events after the nominations, I was told that I was a new member!

Now I just had to wait for the AGM for the selections of new leaders of the SRC. At the AGM, being the new member, I was then allowed to become the President for 2023.

AWSRC President Wesley Mullen Marriott

What does the SRC do?

By joining the SRC I was the voice for all students on and off-campus.

As a student living in campus residential areas, I was able to help and communicate with the RL’s about what events are on the way and what could draw a big crowd.

For the off-campus students, we hand out promotional posters and post them around the campus, as well as placing on our social media platforms.

Some of the night events we have had held were Trivia, Beach parties and Toga. In-between all of our night events, we offer day events including harmony day, IDAHOBIT, Charles Sturt Foundation day and the AWSRC Market Day.

During Session 2, the AWSRC try and put out some student support grants that help the students in any form they need.

How does the SRC help?

The SRC is a student voice with a direct link to the Charles Sturt University decision makers. We support current students by holding student focused events. The SRC work to support current student grants that help student needs, such as sponsoring the $2 hot drinks on Tuesday’s from the Café.

AWSRC banner.

Why should you join the SRC?

By joining the SRC, you will build skills and knowledge that can be used to help strengthen your résumé.

You’ll also have the opportunity to have your ideas heard about future events! AND you will make an amazing circle of friends for life.

Applications for joining the SRC for 2023-2024 will open for your campus or online from 19th of July – so put your hand up and have a go!

You can make an impact on your campus, and you will love it just like I have – find out more on the SRC page and nominate for 2023/24!

AWSRC beach party.

Want to hear another student voice?