Billie’s journey to hearing health

Billie’s journey to hearing health

As a healthy 21-year-old starting my master’s degree, waking up one morning with a loss of hearing in my left ear was a scary feeling.

Many of us have had to switch to online learning over the past 18 months. Learning how to study in your own time and being able to time manage assignments and lectures can be extremely difficult as it requires a solid routine and practice. Through my recent personal experience with hearing loss, I’ve compiled a short list of tips and tricks as well as support services available to you as Charles Sturt students.

Personal experience with a hearing impairment

As a healthy 21-year-old starting my master’s degree, waking up one morning with a loss of hearing in my left ear was a scary feeling. Even more daunting was having to switch out my Airpods for a hearing aid and adapt my online learning environment to accommodate. Whilst it has been a challenging process, I’ve really learned how important it is to ask for assistance when needed and to not hide the things you may be struggling with. I’ve also learned to be really grateful for what you have, because like me, one day you could wake up and have to adapt your whole learning process.

Billie’s tiny but mighty hearing aid. (Supplied).

Tips and tricks for adapting

Here are my tips and tricks for overcoming personal challenges and difficulties, whatever they may be:

• Chat to your lecturers about your personal difficulties if needed so that they know how to best help you
  • Chat to Student Central about support services through Charles Sturt University
  • If living on campus, let your Residential Advisor and dorm mates know
  • If you have any type of learning disability or impairment, ensure you advise the uni through your online enrolment portal
  • Adapt your Interact2 site to best help you

These tips can really help to improve your own mental health and make you feel a little less stressed about completing your studies. When other people are aware of your circumstances it definitely takes the pressure off you and ensures you can more successfully complete your studies.

(Supplied).

Find the support that’s right for you

If you are a Charles Sturt student in need of support, visit the Support services web page.

Written by Billie Tipping

Want to hear more of this student’s voice?