How to Start a Creative Project or Side Hustle

Want to make extra income for something you are passionate about? Shantel gives you the inside scoop on how she turned her creativity into a thriving side business and offers some tips to get you started on your side hustle.

Written by Shantel Hussain

Starting a creative project or a side hustle as a student who is looking to explore their passions and start up a small business or even just to earn some extra income couldn’t be easier in this day and age.

To help you get started I’m going to share some of my own experiences of targeting my abaya company called ’ByMsHussain’ which I created in 2021.

The first step is to identify your purpose. For example, ask yourself what interests you, what skills you have, and what your goals are for this project or side hustle!

For instance, when I started my company ByMsHussain I was randomly scrolling on TikTok on a typical Friday night and I saw many girls talking about how abaya these days costs an arm and a leg, so I decided I will make an affordable abaya business.

The second step is to do your research and planning, and to consider who your target audience is? Where will you be getting your supplies? How much profit will you make?

I did my research on my iPad and I wrote a small map of my target audience. I researched other abaya brands and how much they were costing and made my plan. I then found a material supplier in the UAE who can create abayas that I design and ship to me in bulk.

The last step is to, of course, create your brand: make a logo, get creative, set up a website (I’ve found Shopify is the cheapest and best in the business) and multiple social media platforms! Click here for my Instagram

My website

Promote your business!! Even working with influencers will grow your business more just pop them an email explaining they will need to create a TikTok or Instagram reel when they receive your package.

Customer feedback!

I hope my side hustle will inspire you to start yours although it does require a lot of planning by identifying your purpose through research. Starting your own business will teach you a lot about pursuing what you love!

Scan for my Instagram

Charlie blog is a SSAF funded initiative