Why I Became a Resident Leader at Orange Campus

Do you want to make a difference to campus life at Charles Sturt? Ana shares how becoming a Resident Leader (RL) on campus gave her the chance to make positive changes and help others.

Written by Ana Elefterescu

I’ve always longed to be part of a community where decisions are made in the best interest of those they served. Becoming a resident leader on my campus has given me the opportunity to turn that yearning into action.

Through this role I have been able to find my voice; speaking out, planning, intervening and proposing better ways of doing things. Wanting change has become the driving force behind my deeper involvement and commitment to our community.

Next year will be my third time applying for the scholarship, and my excitement is just as fresh as it was the first time around.

Over the past two years, this role has been like a sculptor’s chisel, shaping me into a more present and insightful leader. I’m eager to continue this journey of growth and see where it leads.

When I first arrived on campus, I was a bit lost, and I didn’t have a great network to support me. That experience lit a fire in me to help others as an RL and be; visible, approachable, and always ready to support.

Cooking up a storm

When I finally stepped into the role myself, I faced some battles with mental health, but that only strengthened my resolve. I learned that being present isn’t just about showing up when it’s easy; it’s about being there, even on your hardest days, to be that steady, comforting presence in the dorm.

After two years I’ve finally mastered the art of balancing a packed schedule of classes with the enthusiasm needed to create moments of joy and connection during campus events and in the dorms.

Burgers after social sport

We share burgers after social sport, have weekly Sunday sausage sizzles, and hand out toasties during intense exam seasons.

Recently, we also hosted a “Pancakes in Pyjamas” morning and celebrated “Christmas in July” with a bingo night along with nachos.

Pancakes in Pyjamas!

Cooking is one of my passions, and so for me, there’s nothing more rewarding than seeing the joy on student’s faces as they dig into a meal, relieved that it’s one less thing they have to worry about.

This year, I’ve focused more on honing my ability to read the pulse of the Charles Sturt community; identifying gaps and addressing needs that might otherwise go unnoticed.

I have recently proposed a second-hand market event. This idea has the potential to be a valuable opportunity for departing students to sell or give away items they no longer need, while new and returning students can find essentials.

I’m thrilled at the prospect of leading what could become an anticipated yearly event, fostering a sense of community and sustainability on campus.

Orange Campus RLs

In the end, the most important lesson I’ve learned is that leadership is less about grand gestures and more about the small, consistent efforts to show up, to listen, and to care.

I hope I’ve encouraged you to consider applying for this role so that you can also make positive changes.

Let’s keep working hard to create a campus community where everyone feels they belong!

Charlie blog is a SSAF funded initiative