My time competing at the Mooloolaba Triathlon

Laura Gillard has just come off the back of training and competing in the Mooloolaba Triathlon with UniSport Nationals. Read all about her highs and lows as she juggles uni commitments with national sporting events, and a personal life in-between!

Written by Laura Gillard

Over the past 8 weeks, I’ve been diving deep into my triathlon training, gearing up for the big race. It’s been a whirlwind of excitement and hard work, with my weekends jam-packed with races back-to-back. Balancing three different sports – swimming, cycling, and running, has been a wild ride, but that’s the fun of it all. I’ve been putting in around 15 to 20 hours per week, hitting the pool aiming to swim 12 – 18km per week, clocking in 200 to 250 kilometres on the bike, and pounding out about 40 kilometres of running.

Image supplied by
Image supplied by Sportograf

This year’s Uni Nationals Triathlon action was held in Mooloolaba, promising an adrenaline-pumping ocean swim, a smooth ride along the highway, and a scenic run by the ocean which was well delivered. Representing Charles Sturt University added an extra layer of excitement and motivation for me to compete well.

Managing my crazy schedule with university, training, and competing isn’t always easy. I’ve found that planning ahead and staying organized is key. Charles Sturt has been amazing in supporting me, whether it’s helping me juggle my studies and competitions or lending a hand with travel arrangements.

Image supplied by Sportograf

Race day didn’t go exactly as planned. While I had a solid swim and managed to stick with a pack of four other girls, the bike leg was tough. I just couldn’t find my groove and struggled to keep up the pace.

Looking forward, I’ve got some exciting races on the horizon. I’m gearing up for a half Ironman later this year, which is sure to be a challenge. And I can’t wait for the Cross Triathlon World Championships in Townsville this August – it’s going to be an epic experience competing on the global stage and pushing myself to new limits.

Image supplied by Sportograf

Through the ups and downs, my journey as a triathlete is all about pushing boundaries, chasing dreams, and never giving up. Bring on the next adventure!

Huge shout out goes to Sophie and the team at Charles Sturt University for supporting me in being able to race up at Mooloolaba. They put a lot of time, effort and money into helping me get up there and I appreciate every bit of support I have been given. I can’t wait for the next race! If you’re interested in attending UniSport Nationals 2024, I highly recommend it! Check out the list of sports and register your interest.

Want to read another UniSport Nationals story?