Charles Sturt University logo
Fares Allowance – don’t miss this one!

Fares Allowance – don’t miss this one!

Female person is walking through airport-foyer with her luggage at small cart. Focus on baggage. Close up of her legs Woman carrying suitcases across hall of airport

Remember that time Centrelink paid for you to travel home for the holidays?

Or to that compulsory res school in Wagga Wagga?

No? Well sit tight, you might be eligible for help with travel costs with a Fares Allowance!

If you are receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY, you may be eligible to apply.

If you are living away from home to study on campus, you may be able to claim the cost of travel to and from university at the beginning and end of the academic year, plus a return trip home during the year.

If you’re studying online, you can claim one trip to the uni to attend a compulsory residential school.

The allowance is paid at the rate of the “least expensive and most available form of public transport in Australia” but may still be paid for private travel (for example, if you drive your car).

Generally, you would make a claim for reimbursement when the travel has been completed but you can also request that the travel be pre-booked and paid for directly.

Claims can be made online via your Centrelink account or using this form.

Find out more at the Human Services website.

Have you got a question or after some assistance with your finances? Get in touch with a Student Liaison Officer (Finance).

This is an SSAF funded initiative
Write for Charlie Graphic