Why study an arts degree? – Amy Randell

Why study an arts degree? – Amy Randell

by Amy Carlon

Third year art student, Amy Randell gave me the run down on why she loves studying creative art and design at CSU and what she hopes to do with her degree in the future:

What degree are you studying?

Bachelor of Creative Arts and Design (BCAD) (Graphic Design / Photography).

Why did you choose to study an arts degree?

I really loved design and photography as a hobby during high school and decided I wanted to take it further. I picked a degree that would give me variety and I wanted to study something that I enjoy doing. I wanted to study something that makes me want to go to work when I graduate.

Why did you decide to take on a double degree?

I’m not entirely sure. I’ve always been someone to take on more than expected and end up succeeding. I don’t think that I could have chosen between design and photography either. They’re both two things I really love doing and they work well together.

Do you believe people underestimate those who choose to study arts?

Yes. When people discover that I’m doing graphic design and photography, they usually respond with “Oh, so how’s that going for you?” in a negative way. Many people don’t understand that a lot of good things in this world, whether it be your IOS or the colour of your wall, were developed by a creative person.

There’s a certain stigma attached to arts – that all students do is avoid study because our course is easy, which isn’t right. To do art well, it takes determination, effort and a lot of creativity. That’s something that most people don’t realise.

How do you stay motivated to continue studying?

Like I said earlier, I like to prove people wrong. When I was in high school, almost all of my role models told me I couldn’t study graphic design and photography because it’s not a ‘real’ course, or I’ll never get a ‘real’ job with it. I also love what I do. I look around at some of my friends who are studying nursing, animal science and social work, and I don’t think I could do that.

How have you found the course so far?

I love my course, it’s equally challenging as it is rewarding. Our lecturers are always pushing us to be better. If we present them work that is mediocre, they encourage us to improve.

What are your future career hopes and plans once you graduate?

I hope to get a job in a print, design, or photography studio to gain some experience. I then want to start freelance work. But whatever I do, I know the sky is the limit.