Managing multiple assessments

Managing multiple assessments

Library computer lab: image of students working in the computer laboratory

Each course is different in what you study, how you study it and what tasks need to be completed for you to receive a grade. You may have five exams; two exams and an assessment; or just straight up all assessment tasks.

So while other students are studying for their exams, how do you balance working on many different tasks while juggling class and your social life?

As a Television Production student, I can definitely say the easiest way to keep on top of it all is to chip away at each assessment before the night its due.

However, as a university student I can also say that is a very unlikely situation!

Prioritise

The alternative is to do bulk work the week before each assessment is due. Write a list consisting of each subject and the corresponding assessment and what you need to do for that assessment. From there, you can simply prioritise larger tasks against the smaller tasks.

Schedule

Scheduling is also very important in managing multiple assessments that may be due within a few days of each other. Rather than spending four to five hours on one assessment, use another smaller task as a study break that is both productive in terms of getting work done, and useful in terms of shifting what your brain is focusing on.  For example, I recently had to write a script for a short film and often found myself struggling to keep on task so I would switch over to a different assessment. In this case, I went into town to record some sound clips for my audio assessment.

Set goals

Dougal Mordike, another Television Production student, uses a different method. “I look at each assignment piece that’s due and how long I have to complete them. On a calendar I mark the ‘halfway’ point for reference and then I label the ‘three-quarter’ point where I aim to have at least 80-90 per cent of the first draft done. I aim to have the first draft done at least one week before the due date. I then spend three days revising more drafts, have a two-day break, then come at the final version with fresh eyes on the last two days (and then submit it!).”

By setting goals for the amount completed and when that should be completed, Dougal is able to keep track of when he might be falling behind in an assignment and what he needs to work more on.

Whichever method you choose (maybe both?), organisation is incredibly important if you want to keep on top of all your assessments.

Struggling with assessments or exams? ALLaN can help you! Visit the ALLaN page to find out more.