Although the year has just begun, looking forward to your future career now can be extremely beneficial!
Many large companies and government agencies have annual recruitment intakes specifically targeting graduates, with some recruiting hundreds of graduates in a variety of locations. They are called ‘graduate programs’ and here is all the key information you need to know.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for a graduate program you need to be in your final year of study or have completed your degree in the last 12-24 months.
When should you apply?
If you are in your final year of study you should start researching opportunities now as applications for graduate programs generally open anytime from February.
If you’re a second-year student, gaining an internship with a graduate recruiter can sometimes help you ‘jump the queue’ so start investigating these opportunities now. Recruitment for summer interns usually occurs between July and September each year (but varies from employer to employer).
How do you apply?
You can find graduate programs and internships advertised via the employer’s own website, at careers fairs (there are two this month – thebigmeet.com.au and tertiarytowork.com.au) and specialist websites such as gradaustralia.com.au, graduateopportunities.com or gradconnection.com.au
CSU’s Career Development Service can help, too. You can book an appointment with an advisor to find out more about graduate programs and how to prepare your applications.
Benefits of Grad Programs:
- Competitive salaries (averaging around $61.5k).
- Potential for travel and the opportunity to work for some of Australia’s (and the world’s) top companies
- Recruit graduates from a broad range of disciplines
- Provide structured mentoring and professional development over 1-2 years
- Rotate graduate employees through different sectors of the business to find their perfect ‘fit’
- Help graduates to identify their strengths and gain valuable experience in a professional environment