What the ‘O’ in O Week really means

What the ‘O’ in O Week really means

CSU O Week 2017 banner with hands prints
CSU O Week 2017 banner with hands prints. Image: CSU Image

by Jenna Verhoeven

There are many words that come to mind when I think of O Week. If this is your first O Week, or even if you’re a seasoned O Week-er here are the likely ‘O’ words you’ll hear, think, or say during the first few weeks of uni.

• “Flaming Oath – this textbook, cup of coffee, pen is so expensive”
  • “Oh *expletive* I’ve got a class on Friday afternoon until five – ugh”
  • “This is a bit Overwhelming”

The Uni’s ‘O’ word

Orientation – it’s all about finding your feet in a new place. If you’re living on campus, it’s about getting comfortable in a different environment, finding a good barista, and sussing out a library nook for your study and social needs.

If you’re a distance student, like myself, it’s about getting familiar with Interact2, finding your way around the online ‘Dashboard’, and orienting yourself with all the contacts you’ll need for Session 1.

The real ‘O’ Word.

I believe that O Week is about a completely different ‘O’ word. Organisation. My inner Virgo thrives in O Week. The best time to put together your game plan? Is before the game has even begun.

Here are some of my top tips for uni organisation, especially if you’re a distance student when “out of sight, out of mind” may become your motto.

1. Download, screen shot or print (if you’re old school like me) your subject outlines

Keep them somewhere you’ll remember.

1. Sync your calendars

It sounds simple, but if you don’t sync your uni, work, and social calendars, things will get messy. Quickly.

1. Make a timeline

Get a big piece of paper and rule up a calendar for the session (start to finish, include the mid-session break and exam period). Write in when your assessments are due, and add in when drafts and final copies need to be finished by. Put this large sheet of paper somewhere you’ll see every day, like right next to your front door. I glance at mine each day checking what’s coming up, when I need a draft done by, and if I need to add in some extra study time this week to get up to speed.

1. Over-estimate

Let’s be honest, 95 per cent of the time uni work takes longer than you think. So be generous with the time you set for readings, completing tasks, and getting your assignments done. Include this time in your diary, planner or calendar.

1. Give Kikki K a run for her money

I’m old school. If it’s not written down on a piece of paper, it’s not going to happen, or I didn’t even read it. Organise your stationary or your computer desktop and decide how you’re going to file, sort, and label all of your documents for uni. Buy whatever fancy ‘to-do’ list or stationary you think will help.