CSU students riding waves of success

CSU students riding waves of success

Via Gify.

Three surfers from Charles Sturt University’s Port Macquarie campus will be representing CSU at the Australian University Surfing Championship in Port Macquarie from tomorrow!

Carley Carney, James Melhuish and Zachary Thurlow will be competing in the games against many other universities across Australia. The competition runs over a couple of days and is held wherever the best waves are in the Port Macquarie area.

Students will compete in 15-minute heats from their chosen divisions, with the hope of making it through a number of rounds to get to the finals. The different divisions include men and women’s shortboard and longboard, mixed team challenges and body board divisions.

One of the athletes competing, Carley Carney, says she is really looking forward to the competition.

“I am competing in the event because I love surfing and I really enjoy going in competitions. Being lucky enough to have the event held in Port Macquarie at one of our local beaches is really awesome for the Port CSU students. I think the event will be a lot of fun and it will be a great chance to meet students from other universities and be able to represent CSU”.

As an avid surfer, Carley is hoping to make it to the finals, but also enjoy the fun that comes with the event.

“My friends and family have always been into surfing and I have lived on the coast my all my life so I have always spent a lot of time at the beach. Like everybody else, I hope to do well in the event, however, I am just as excited to be involved, have fun and make the most of the couple of days.”

If you would like further information or to find out where to attend the event to support our CSU students – Visit the Uni Sport website.