Meet Megan Kaye, a fourth year vet student and avid wildlife conservationist

Megan’s love for nature and animals has led her to some interesting places

Megan Kaye is no ordinary vet student. Her love for nature and animals has led her on quite a journey. She’s worked on a piggery farm, milked cows at a dairy, trekked with camels in the Simpson Desert and volunteered for the Queensland Turtle Conservation Project.

I caught up with Megan to find out more.

Tell us a bit about yourself!

My name is Megan Kaye and I am studying my fourth year of vet science at Charles Sturt in Wagga Wagga. I grew up on a small cherry orchard near Glenrowan in Victoria. I currently work as a student library assistant at the Charles Sturt library. I’m also a waitress at the Pot ’n’ Kettle cafe. 

What do you do in your spare time?

I like to get outdoors – swimming, hiking, bike riding and kayaking. I also love spending time with family and catching up with friends over a cup of tea.

What made you want to study at Charles Sturt?

I have always been interested in studying with Charles Sturt as the female role models in my life – my cousin, mother and grandmother – all studied here. I applied for the course in Wagga due to my long time dream of becoming a vet and I had heard great things about the Charles Sturt veterinary science graduates. 

What was your journey like in applying for this course?

I had a slightly bumpy road to starting at the uni. I studied hard throughout my VCE to get the marks required for the veterinary science admission, however I didn’t receive a spot after being interviewed straight out of school. I decided to take a gap year and spend my time gaining more experience, specifically with production animals. I spent six weeks at an intensive piggery farm, worked at a veterinary clinic, milked at a dairy on weekends, volunteered at the local RSPCA and grabbed the chance to handle as many different types of animals I could! The skills and knowledge I gained were invaluable and I was accepted into the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Bachelor of Veterinary Science course the following year.

What motivates you?

I would consider myself a very self-driven person. I enjoy challenging myself. My love for nature and the outdoors motivates me to lead a more sustainable life and fuels my interest in animal welfare, conservation and research. 

Within my time at Charles Sturt I have played netball for the CSU Bushsows and football with the CSU Bushpigs. I helped run the “My Mornings Matter” program and took on the big job of the Wagga Wagga sustainability advisor (SA) in 2019. I have completed multiple production animal (AHEMS) placements as well as took part in an Australian Desert Expeditions 16 day trek in the Simpson Desert, working with pack camels. I assisted with uni research on bush rats in the Dorrigo Rainforest and I volunteered for the Queensland Turtle Conservation project at Mon Repos beach near Bundaberg.

As for the future, I plan to finish my studies with Charles Sturt and use my degree to work in and out of Australia as a mixed veterinarian focused on wildlife conservation and research.

Share your story

If you’re a Charles Sturt student with an interesting story, we’d love to share it! Send us an email at charlie@csu.edu.au.