Charles Sturt University logo
USI: What it is and why you need one

USI: What it is and why you need one

You might have noticed the term Unique Student Identifier (USI) mentioned in your emails, student pages or on campus and have no clue what it is. Well lucky for you we have broken down everything you need to know about USI and why you need one in 2021.

What is a USI?

A USI is a Unique Student Identifier, which is the individual education number that you carry through your uni life. A USI is made up of a combination of ten numbers and letters that connect your Commonwealth supported loan information to your details.

Why do I need a USI?

If you are studying at university, it is an Australian Government requirement to have a USI. It was announced that from January 2021, all new students would need a USI in order to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place and Commonwealth financial assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, and OS-HELP).

All returning/continuing students will need to provide their USI to the university in 2021. By 2023, all higher education students will need to have a USI in order to receive their award. This includes all students who started before 2021, and international onshore students. If you are an international offshore student you will not need a USI.

How do I get a USI?

Obtaining a USI is quick and straight forward. Head to the USI website, where it should take you only 5 minutes or so to complete the process. The only thing you will need in order to obtain your USI is a form of identification.

Acceptable forms of ID include:

If you have undertaken any registered training since 2015, you may already have a USI. If you’re unsure if you already have a USI or want to find what your USI is, you can check online.

What do I do once I have my USI?

After you have obtained your USI, if you are seeking Commonwealth financial assistance for the first time you will be required to provide your USI when you lodge your electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF). Your USI will then automatically be attached to your Charles Sturt student record.

If you are not seeking Commonwealth financial assistance, you will need to provide your USI directly to Charles Sturt.

Once you have your USI and you have provided it to Charles Sturt for your student record you will not need to change or update it.

This is an SSAF funded initiative
Write for Charlie Graphic