Life after lockdown: it’s “just like home” on campus

return to campus 2021

Next year the uni is planning to welcome you back on campus. Preparation is underway to deliver lectures, tutorials and pracs face-to-face in Session 1, 2021.

You will get plenty of updates over the upcoming weeks to let you know what your safe return will look like, but in the meantime hear first-hand what it’s like to be back on campus.

Sarah Sawyer

Sarah Sawyer, paramedic student

Sarah Sawyer is one of many paramedic students who came back to campus in Session 2 to complete pracs. Sarah, a second year student and tutor, says she’s felt happy and safe returning to study at Bathurst campus after the COVID-19 lockdown. 

She says everyone is looking out for each other.

“I’ve enjoyed being back on campus, and I feel as at home as I did before I left.

“It’s just very minimal changes to make, and you don’t even notice you’re making them.”

Sarah says measures like hand sanitiser, social distancing, and regular sign-ins have made her feel comfortable.

“It’s the new normal.”

She says it’s natural to feel a bit anxious about returning to campus.

“But Charles Sturt took it really seriously from the get go and they have put several measures in place that mirrored the guidelines from NSW Health. 

“It’s always been very manageable, and it doesn’t impact your existence.” 

Madeleine Riddell

Madeleine Riddell,  journalism student

Madeleine Riddell, a second year student, returned to live on campus in Session 2 so she could do her cadetship at 2MCE community radio station.

Each student has their own headphones and mic socks to protect their health, plus tables and chairs are wiped down between visits.

Madeleine says those living in on-campus accommodation are signing regular Health Declarations, limiting visitors, and keeping their distance.

“I feel like I haven’t seen a single person who hasn’t followed the guidelines and regulations,” she says.

“There are some people who go out of their way to do more than that, which is really good.

“A lot of people are very, very cautious about social distancing; chatting among their friends, they will be keeping serious space between one another.

“From my perspective, I want to adhere to social distancing and regulations because I know how good an opportunity it is to be back on campus.”

Find more information

There are a broad range of measures already in place to keep you safe on campus including:

• COVID Safety Plans across campuses
  • a requirement to fill in regular health declarations
  • QR code scanning in public places
  • increased cleaning.

To read more check out the COVID-19 updates page.