We spoke to the Academic Skills Coordinator (and referencing expert) for Charles Sturt to get their top 5 tips for being a referencing pro!
- Get organised and allow enough time to write your assessment tasks. This means getting help from your lecturer or an Academic Skills Advisor if you don’t know where to start.
- Keep accurate notes. Make sure you include the author, date and publication information. This will help you reference while you’re writing your assignment.
- Paraphrase carefully. Make sure you understand the content and where appropriate, change the order of information, vocabulary and grammatical format.
- Make clear distinctions between your own ideas and the information that comes from the literature. Don’t forget the quotation marks for direct quotes!
- Use Turnitin to check for potential referencing errors.