CSU students take top spot at University Challenge

Liza and James after recieving their award
Liz and James after receiving their award

Two paramedicine students have returned home to Bathurst as winners from a national competition in Melbourne.

Bachelor of Clinical Practice (Paramedic) students Liz Phillips and James Collins finished first in one of the categories at the Australian and New Zealand College of Paramedicine (ANZCP) University Challenge.

The CSU students were awarded first place in the Challenge’s professional presentation category.

It was the first time CSU had put a student team in the Challenge which is organised by ANZCP, a peak professional body for paramedics in the two countries.

Liz and James competed against students from 13 other universities in four separate challenges, including two trauma scenarios, clinical reasoning, professional presentation and a cardio-pulmonary resuscitation challenge.

Under the supervision of their lecturer, Amanda Hlushak, they practised for the trauma scenarios for four hours a week over five weeks in the University’s Clinical Simulation Centre. In addition to this, they spent many hours preparing their winning presentation.

James said, “The challenge was a fantastic experience that allowed me to demonstrate and put into practice the excellent clinical knowledge and practical skills that I have learnt over the three years of my degree.

“Preparing for the Challenge allowed me to consolidate my knowledge and skills as well as identify areas of weakness.

“During the event, I met students and academics from other universities as well as working paramedics which further expanded my skills and knowledge and gave me a greater understanding of the profession.

“I’d encourage any student who receives an opportunity like this to take it as I have learnt an incredible amount and enjoyed every moment.”

Amanda said, “Not only was I very proud of Liz and James’ accomplishments, I was also impressed by their commitment to the whole process, their professionalism and enthusiasm at the Challenge.”

Looking for ways to put your study into practice? Take a look at the Uni Life page to check out some of the ways you expand on your knowledge and get involved in other aspects of uni life at CSU.