By Ellie Parker
For must of us, at some stage we will have to undertake at least one unpaid internship. They can involve long hours, hard work and be exhausting… but oh so worth it! Here are our top ten tips for how to get the most out of your internships!
1. Get there early and stay late – Not only will this impress your potential employers, but it shows that you’re passionate and willing to help out no matter what the time!
2. Always ask questions – This shows you’re interested in what you’re doing and willing to learn.
3. Dress to impress – As they say, “Dress for the job you want”. By dressing suitably and presenting yourself well, you’ll leave a great lasting impression.
4. Be enthusiastic about everything you do – Sometimes you can get given the most boring tasks… but pretend to love them! A little enthusiasm goes a long way.
5. Bring lunch with you – This saves you money, and gives you a chance to become more social with the other employees during lunch break or in the staff room, plus you save money!
6. Use your initiative – Don’t wait to be given a job or task to do. Ask if there is anything you can do to help, even if it means going to get coffee for everyone!
7. Do your research – Before you go to your internship placement, research the institution you’re going to. How many people work there, what is the history of the company etc.
8. Be prepared – Pack your bag the night before, and make sure you bring a notepad or laptop to take notes. Get plenty of sleep so you’re ready for a new day!
9. Write a list – What do you want out of this internship? Whether it’s a job or just experience, make sure you do everything in your power to make your list come true.
10. Follow up – It’s great that you’ve now completed your internship, but now is the time to take action. Keep in contact with your placement through phone calls and emails. It doesn’t hurt to forward an updated version of your CV every few months either!