My Intensive School experience

My Intensive School experience

Students studying together in the library.
Students studying together in the library. Image: CSU Image

Attending Intensive School for the first time can be nerve-racking. I found this out in my second year of a Bachelor of Science at CSU. As an online student, you won’t know the people you’ll be studying with, what your lecturers are like, or the kind of work you’ll be doing while you’re there. But don’t worry, you’re not alone!

Your first day might be initially daunting, but from my own experience, I found I settled in quickly once I introduced myself to the people around me. If you’re nervous, just remember that the majority of your class is feeling the same! So introducing yourself might help others settle in as well. So here’s a few tips for those online students tackling Intensive School for the first time:

Ask questions

You’ll learn a lot at Intensive School. The practical component or even just the face-to-face teaching reinforces the information you’ll learn throughout the subject. And if there’s something you’re confused about, ask your lecturer! This is the best time to ask because you’ll get an explanation and have anything clarified. Don’t be scared to ask for help from the demonstrators either, they’ll be one of your best resources.

Make friends

If you’re put into groups, making friends with other groups will be a big help. I found that when my group didn’t understand something in the manual, a group near us could explain how to solve the problem or use some of the practical instruments.

Write notes

Writing notes during class can be really helpful to look back on for assignments or exams. You’ll probably need this information for other subjects too. So it’s always a good idea to keep a note book handy to write down any notes or tips.

Check your campus map

If you’re going to an unfamiliar campus, take a look at the campus map. Or if you have a friend that lives on campus, ask them how to get around. They might even give you a mini campus tour. It can be scary going somewhere you’re unfamiliar with but looking at the map beforehand can give you a rough idea of where you need to go.

Intensive School was a great experience. I met people doing the same subjects as me, learnt much more about the subjects I was studying and even learnt how to use the practical instruments I use throughout my degree and career.

By Britney Booth